Skip to main content

ISP Faculty Resources

Getting Started

All BYU programs that grant students academic credit for studying abroad are required to work through International Study Programs (ISP). By doing so, faculty who lead these programs will have access to the security, liability, health, and logistical expertise of ISP. They will also have access to the university’s full range of legal and risk management services while the program is in process. Students on these programs also have access to support services offered by ISP and may compete for ISP scholarships.

BYU-sponsored international travel by students that does not offer academic credit (such as travel to international conferences, ORCA grants, etc.), is not administered through ISP, but students are required to register their travel on the BYU International Travel Registry. This registry makes it possible for BYU to provide support to BYU students abroad in the case of emergencies.

What You Teach

If a faculty member creates their own program or participates on a departmental program, he/she may have considerable leeway in the course taught. However, other programs, such as language programs and those taught at the London Centre, have specific teaching requirements faculty must fulfill.

Bringing Your Family

Whether or not a director’s family may travel with them depends on the size, type, and length of the program. Benefits, including subsidies for travel by family members, also have tax implications and are governed by BYU’s ISP Benefits Policy. Refer to the BYU–ISP Faculty Benefits Policy (see Faculty Handbook) for an idea of the range of benefits.

Group Size

Group size depends greatly on the destination, type and length, and the costs (number of faculty family members who will be on the program, housing, etc.) of the program. Faculty are encouraged to talk to an ISP coordinator early in the planning process so the cost can be estimated and the minimum number of student participants determined.

Typically, a faculty-led program to western Europe or Asia will require fifteen to twenty student participants. Programs to other areas of the world may require fewer participants.