This year, the annual Kennedy Center Photo Contest extends a call to all BYU students whose education was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether you participated in a fall 2019 study abroad, were on a disrupted winter 2020 study abroad, could not attend a spring/summer 2020 study abroad due to cancellations, or had to leave campus mid-semester to continue learning from home, we want to see photography that explores your experiences.
All students are invited to submit compelling photographs that document how they experience the Kennedy Center’s motto, “Expand your world” this unique school year, even from home. Photos should capture the cultural essence and learning inherent to a global academic experience. All photos should communicate how student understanding of the world is enriched regardless of location during the pandemic.
- You must be a full-time BYU student to participate.
- All entries must be photos taken while the participant was traveling or living abroad on a BYU International Study Program during fall 2019 or winter 2020, or anyone may submit after the transition to online school between March and August 2020.
- Entries are limited to three (3) per person.
- Images may not be digitally altered beyond standard optimization, such as cropping and color/contrast adjustments. Black and white photos are acceptable.
- Submissions MUST be at least 4.0 MB, but 5.0 MB or larger image files are strongly encouraged. Submissions not meeting the size requirements will not be considered. Digital files are acceptable in JPG and TIFF formats.
- Submissions should be labeled with the student’s last name as the file name. For example, if the student’s name was Miguel Santamaria, and the student was submitting three images, they should be titled “santamaria1.jpg, santamaria2.jpg, santamaria3.jpg.”
- Submit images by midnight on Thursday, 22 October 2020 via e-mail to email@example.com with your name and BYU ID, either the semester and ISP program in which you participated or if you are documenting from home, where the photo was taken, and a title and description for the image. Please be careful to include all information.
- A $1,000 cash prize will be awarded for “Best in Show” and other cash amounts will be awarded to the runners up and honorable mentions. Winners will be notified via e-mail, and all participants will be invited to an awards ceremony.
- Winning photos will be displayed in the south hall gallery of the David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies.
- Submitted photos may also be used by the Kennedy Center for print, online, or other promotions.
The Kennedy Center reserves the right to refuse any entry.