ENTER TO WIN
Once again, every BYU student is eligible to submit photographs for this year’s unique competition.
Because the pandemic affected all International Study Programs, travel abroad ceased for much of 2020 and 2021. Disruption and uncertainty can be useful elements in learning—including on study abroad and internship programs. Students should submit compelling photographs that document how they experienced the Kennedy Center’s mantra, Expand your world, during this past school year, even from home. The best photos will reveal global understanding and awareness.
- You must be a full-time BYU student to participate.
- All entries must be photos taken between fall 2020 and summer 2021.
- Entries are limited to three (3) per person.
- Images may not be digitally altered beyond standard optimization, such as cropping and color/contrast adjustments. Black and white photos are acceptable.
- Submissions MUST be at least 4.0 MB, but 5.0 MB or larger image files are strongly encouraged. Submissions not meeting the size requirements will not be considered. Digital files are acceptable in JPG and TIFF formats.
- Submissions should be labeled with the student’s last name as the file name. For example, if the student’s name was Miguel Santamaria, and the student was submitting three images, they should be titled “santamaria1.jpg, santamaria2.jpg, santamaria3.jpg.”
- Submit images by midnight on Friday, 1 October 2021 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and BYU ID, either the semester and ISP program in which you participated or if you are documenting from home, where the photo was taken, and a title and description for the image. Please be careful to include all information.
- A $1,000 cash prize will be awarded for “Best in Show” and other cash amounts will be awarded to the runners up and honorable mentions. Winners will be notified via e-mail, and all participants will be invited to an awards ceremony.
- Winning photos will be displayed in the south hall gallery of the David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies.
- Submitted photos may also be used by the Kennedy Center for print, online, social media, marketing, or other promotions.
The Kennedy Center reserves the right to refuse any entry.
ON DISPLAY NOW
Each year the Kennedy Center Photo Contest provides an opportunity for students who enrolled in a BYU International Study Program to show global awareness and perspectives through original photography.
Due to the pandemic in 2020, we opened the 2019–2020 competition and gave every BYU student the chance to show how their understanding of the world grew—whether from home or abroad. This included students who participated in a fall 2019 study abroad, were on a disrupted winter 2020 study abroad, could not attend a spring/summer 2020 study abroad due to cancellations, or had to leave campus mid-semester and continue learning from home.