Gain unique perspectives on health, wellness, and longevity through a multitude of varied activities in fabulous Greece!
- Experience Greece’s Blue Zone. The island of Ikaria is a blue zone, a place where the lifestyle and environment contributes to its residents being several times more likely to reach the age of 90+. Ikaria is also notable because cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes are significantly lower, and dementia is rare. On a six-day adventure on this rugged island, you will experience the culture and ways of life of Ikaria and discover Ikarian secrets of longevity.
- Experience the Mediterranean-style diet. Greece is considered home of the Mediterranean-style diet, known for reducing heart disease, diabetes, cancer, overall mortality, and for providing additional health benefits. The word “diet” comes from the Greek word “dieta” and means a way of life, a lifestyle. It is a holistic and culturally-engrained lifestyle where physical activity is incorporated into daily living, meals are shared and enjoyed together slowly with family and friends, and there is emphasis on social connection, getting adequate rest, stress relief, and much more. Learn to prepare and enjoy foods the way locals do, and investigate how the diet benefits health.
- Enhance your personal wellness and learn life skills for achieving stress management, resiliency, mindfulness, relaxation, growth mindset, and a sustained sense of happiness. Throughout our time abroad, there will be an infusion of physical activity into our daily life with planned walks, hikes, and bicycle tours.
- Shadow doctors at a state-of-the-art hospital and learn about the Greek health care system. Learning about blue zones and the Mediterranean-style diet will shape your perspectives on health and wellness in a profound way. Yet, the program will impress on students that the reality is that Greece is a not a nirvana of health. For example, smoking rates in Greece are high. Students will see first-hand the impacts of unhealthy lifestyle as they observe doctors treating and operating on people suffering from a variety of lifestyle-related conditions where smoking, drinking, overeating, stress, and/or lack of physical activity were likely contributors. Students will also observe the realities of the Greek health care system by shadowing doctors in a hospital for two weeks.
- Become acquainted with motivational interviewing and other strategies for health improvement that you can apply in your work with patients and clients through online instruction prior to traveling to Greece.
- Discover why Greece is one of the world’s most popular travel destinations. In addition to spending time in Ikaria and Thessaloniki, students will also visit Athens and at least one other Greek island. Learn more about this program at www.byuglobalhealth.org.