A recent boom in BYU’s foreign studies originated from the Kennedy Center. By encouraging students and faculty alike to think Europe, the Center for the Study of the Europe (CSE) has sparked, maintained, and expanded research activities across campus. Though newly established, the center has been busy: reaching thousands of Deseret News subscribers and elementary teachers; developing a broader base of resources and courses; providing increased funding for research; and offering more opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience—all exclusively relating to Europe. CSE has five main objectives:
1) Expand language offerings to accommodate growing demand
2) Reinforce non-language offerings in European studies
3) Support scholarly inquiry
4) Develop new linkages and internship opportunities
5) Extend the breadth and depth of outreach efforts
Through its efforts to achieve these objectives, the center hopes to expand its influence on European scholarship at BYU and beyond.